New joint venture in military fuzes to serve US market

Rheinmetall’s Weapon and Ammunition division further expands into US market with new joint venture for military fuzes.

28 May 2019
The US Army's precision guidance kit: Rheinmetall and FRAEN joint venture will offer US customers the latest fuze technology


Rheinmetall and FRAEN Corporation have set up a joint venture in the military fuze sector to serve the US defence market. The new company will be called Rheinmetall Fraen Fuzes (RFF), which will develop and produce military fuzes.

Rheinmetall will hold a 51% share in the new company, with the remaining 49% held by FRAEN. The joint venture will be collocated with FRAEN Corporation's headquarters in Reading, Massachusetts.

The combined capabilities of the RFF joint venture lay the groundwork for establishing a new benchmark in the world of military fuze technology, with intensive research and development poised to create new technical and tactical capabilities.

The new company constitutes a key element in the ongoing expansion of Rheinmetall’s Weapon and Ammunition division in the United States, and is an integral part of its strategy of securing existing and future US procurement orders in the weapon and ammunition domain.

As Werner Kraemer, managing director of Rheinmetall Waffe Munition put it, “We’re very upbeat about the potential the new company opens up for our customers as well for ourselves. The combined capabilities of FRAEN Corporation and Rheinmetall mean that we’ll be able to offer our American customers the latest fuze technology and highly innovative products: Made in the USA.”

Rheinmetall brings to the joint venture state-of-the-art technology, innovative drive, unsurpassed quality, and nearly 130 years of experience in developing and producing defence technology systems and products, especially weapon systems, ammunition, and related components. FRAEN  is synonymous with precision fabrication of mechanical and electrical elements, automated production sequences with integrated quality control, and comprehensive production expertise.

In particular, America stands to benefit from the synergy effects arising from the new joint venture, coupled with access to cutting-edge fuze technology – a key component in the production of ammunition – together with an assured source of supply and excellent quality. Based on advanced Rheinmetall technologies and know-how, the creation of research and development capacity in America will be a boon for the US defence industry.